Watch the PW Jumpstart introductory video!
Have new team members joining your DPW at various times and challenging to put an effective initial onboarding program in place? We've got you covered! Introducing PW Jumpstart - a monthly 11.5 hour course designed to install the basics of safety and awareness of public works for a successful start in the highway and public works field! FREE for NH's local highway agencies from UNH T2.
This two-day virtual session will include a blend of five hours pre-work &homework, and six-hours of live virtual instructor-led training on a broad array of topics important to a public works employee's success, followed by a half-hour independent culminating activity And because statistics suggest that up to 60% of all job injuries occur to new employees with less than six months on the job, a significant amount of time will be spent on the safety basics.
New employees will leave class with awareness of the tools and resources to support them in their careers, and an understanding of the importance of safety in all aspects of their job. Participants who successfully complete the full course will receive 5.0 NH Roads Scholars Technical hours and 6.5 NH Roads Scholar Safety hours.
Agenda and Course Content will include:
- An introduction to the New Hampshire Public Works network - who we are, what resources and associations are available, continuing your career
- Ethics in Public Works - the role of a municipal public servant and important ethical considerations
- Work Zone and Flagger Safety principals - although not a Flagger "certification" course, we'll spend a couple hours talking about working safely in and around work zones
- Working around heavy equipment - blind spots, maintenance, best practices
- Excavation & Trenching Safety, as well as an introduction to DigSafe
- Electrical Safety
- Housekeeping and Garage Safety
- First Aid and Bloodborne Pathogens
- Working Outdoors- chainsaws, roadside cleanup, and mowing safety
- PW's role in stopping the spread of Invasive Plants
- What next in your PW career? Additional UNH T2 workshops (ie CCM, Flagger Certification, etc) that may be of interest, as well as review of other available training sources and industry information
All students will receive an email in advance of the course outlining the agenda, schedule, and required prework and homework (included in the 11.5 hours of Roads Scholar hours).