Now more than ever, organizations need to know how to respectfully and effectively engage with individuals of diverse identities and backgrounds, both as co-workers and as clientele. The LGBTQ+ community is a key part of this tapestry of diversity. As a historically marginalized group, the LGBTQ+ community shares a long history of discrimination and misunderstanding by society at large. This interactive workshop arms participants with the tools and knowledge they need to ensure that their organizations are not unconsciously perpetuating this discrimination and are, instead, affirmatively employing best practices for healthy engagement with the LGBTQ+ community. An organization never knows when the next person being recruited for a job or the next client calling on the phone will be a member of the LGBTQ+ community.
In this interactive and impactful workshop, participants will achieve the following learning outcomes:
· Increase cultural competency and sensitivity around the LGBTQ+ community.
· Understand basic terminology relative to the LGBTQ+ community.
· Define and differentiate between sexual orientation, sex assigned at birth, gender identity, and gender expression.
· Enhance empathy for the LGBTQ+ community and the struggles they face.
· Increase knowledge and understanding of the transgender and nonbinary. community, including terminology, and do’s and don’ts for engaging respectfully with this community.
· Identify basic best practices, policies, and procedures for interacting with LGBTQ+ community members in a workplace setting, both as employees and as clientele.
· Gain answers to their LGBTQ+ related questions in a safe, non-judgmental space.